Monday, December 26, 2011

Charles & Freya Red Devil

Freya stood there before me upon the stump end of the log staring out into the fog, her nose working hard sniffing the air in attempt to make out who the silent eyes before us belonged to.

'Its not the black panther,' Freya whispered ever so softly over her shoulder, both eyes upon the fog guardian shrouded in mist. 'It is something taller, I can make out the edges of several rocks, it is standing upright.'

After what seemed like several hours the bright yellow eyes hovering out in the fog blinked and where gone. A moment later they appeared again, this time no more than a few feet in front of Freya, she chirped and leapt backwards off the stump. In a blink and a flash a muscular red demon with long white hair was atop the stump in the exact spot Freya had fallen from. It was bent over, almost leaning into the fire, hair covering it's face, its right arm held it steady while the other was dangling down close to the fire, hand clenched in a soft fist.

Raising its left hand and stretching it out towards me, it opened palm up revealing Freya unsinged by the fire curled up, quivering with fear, but unharmed. I stood slowly and walked towards the stump, the red devil did not move an inch as I did. I gently picked Freya up out of his hand, as I noticed that his body was covered in thousands of tiny scars of the purest white.

I took a few steps back to my bedding and sat down, knowing nothing else to do. The devil adjusted himself to sit atop the stump cross legged with an almost mechanical precision and swiftness. As he did with one fluid movement both hands stole up all the hair about his face and shoulders and tied it back in a top knot. Its piercing eyes staring into mine, though I was mesmerized by the demon and the abundance of scars adorning its body. The demon was no larger than I was, though it seemed taller and very much more muscular, the scars told me stories of endless years of battle. Yet Freya's fear was abating... What Red Devil trap had we been lured into.

In all hopes of returning,
Charles & Freya

No comments: