Friday, December 16, 2011

Charles & Freya Silent Eyes

The moment my sleep state ended and my eyes opened I felt Freya stir and in a moment her tiny blue and green eyes peeped out from underneath my jacket where she had slept next to my collar bone. The stump which we had started the fire under was still hot, many embers still burnt red. I sat up and scooted my butt closer to the fire, once I was close enough I reached out my hands to warm them up, as I did Freya bounded down my arm and out onto the top of the stump to glaze out into the fog which still lay thick not more than twenty feet before us.

Freya had turned her back on the fog and started gnawing on a small piece of corn that I given her the night before, which she had kept in her pocket. Her bright eyes, one a bright green the other an even brighter blue were gazing happily into a single fire red ember which I had set before her atop the stump when I swore something moved in the fog. Not a mass of dark shadows, but yellow cat like eyes. They hovered over out in the fog, though they had positioned themselves over Freya's head, so I could not tell if it was the gleem in her eyes melting with my imagination or if there truly were yellow cat like eyes dangling out in the fog more than five feet or more off the ground.

In all hopes of returning,
Charles & Freya

No comments: