Tuesday, March 27, 2012

World's Over Journal XXVIII Magic Water

That evening, after Priscilla had gone to bed, Toki and I remained up late talking before the hearth. The topic which had been eating away at my mind ever since Priscilla had mentioned going to investigate the road hadn't left my thoughts. I turned to Toki and asked about magic.

'Regular magic, cannot be taught, nor is it within the blood,' Toki began in the stern stoic tone which was her way, emotion was only betrayed in glistening shimmers behind her eyes and a minute smile which might be seen dancing at the edges of her lips. 'It is discovered from small manifestations of the will and then harnessed. It takes time, discipline, a good mentor and a wand, of sorts, to make a good wizard, witch or warlock... Though even then things can go wrong as greed, fear and hatred creep in, if the wrong type of magic is mixed in with that type of magician, a necromancer is born; though they are few and rarely survive the transformation from living to undead.'

'That brings us to unliving magic,' continued Toki 'the unholy powers were born of a single entity at the dawn of time. Her will and the magic within went unchecked for an age of the earth, until she fashioned herslf a wand. It was during this time that many creatures and beings began coming back to life, as undead. There are varrying degrees of magic inside the unliving, but what we do know for certain, is that they all share a united memory. Every life that dies brings into the legion's history it's own memories, up until the point of death.

'Do you mean that Priscilla is undead,' I asked Toki my eyes starting to swell with tears as unchecked sorrow began to overcome my thoughts. 'She is just a girl... Was just a girl,' I corrected 'I know she is aging differently than other humans, and that there is something odd about her dragon tattoo, but she didn't die in her hybernation. It was but a deep sleep.'

'Jane, do not fret,' Toki said calmly, seeing my panic, 'It is common for humans to be found in the deep slumber of the final war's magic. No, one truly knows all the magic that moves about the earth, and there is new magic that has begun to stir in the past age, ever since the wand of the Vampire Queen was shattered and the Necromancer was born. What I can tell you is, that as far Kensori and I can tell, she is not one of the undead. Rest your heart and do not fret.'

My nerves calmed and I became less tense, 'well my friend,' I said to Toki in a weary voice as I stared into the fire, 'I must be off to bed as I am ever so tired.'

'Sleep well my friend,' Toki replied, 'tomorrow will be another long day.'

In earnest anticipation of,
Jane
Without Charles

No comments: