Friday, October 21, 2011

World's Over Journal XI Footsteps of Doom

There came the sound of a great crash from inside the house. I had just left the kitchen after brewing some tea which Freya had taught us how to make with various herbs, and was now sitting upon the frost steps. Fear struck deep within me, for Charles and Freya were gone off on their quest for the past three days now and there was no other entrance to our tree home but the second level doorway and I sat upon the threshold.

‘Nothing big could have gotten by me’, I said to myself, nothing I could have seen that is. As I stood up there beside my hand was a footprint upon the wooden step. It was twice as large as mine, the ball of a foot and three large toes. Whatever it was, it was very large, for the foot print was of dried mud, but fresh as if by the sheer weight of the creature had it been left. There were only two other footprints upon the whole entrance way and staircase, which were before the threshold, as if it had leapt from ground ten feet to our mid stair and then landing once again before the doorway.

There was no sound but the breeze and a flock of several birds not far off high above in the trees, nothing else after the loud crash. I decided that since I had been in the house or upon the staircase that whatever it was, surely would have noticed me, so I called out. ‘Hullo’ I had said, no response came, so with all my nerve I entered. I saw no one and heard nothing else that day, save the birds and the wind.

In earnest anticipation of,
Jane
With Charles

No comments: