Monday, June 17, 2013

Druid in Ruins

I woke as if from a nightmare an unspoken name upon my lips. Was I supposed to remember it in the waking realm or was it merely a dream? In this magical age of the earth, there was no such things as coincidence. If your heart knew love, or malice for that matter, your will knew perseverance and you had even the slightest bit of magic in your blood, anything was possible.

When the magic first started to manifest itself upon the face of the world people believed they were insane or had some ill fated mental disorder... This was not the case, for no matter how many times you saw a psychiatrist or took the prescribed drug the governments were handing out that week for the supposed disorder, you would always find yourself perceiving the world as if it was but a waking fairy tale, a dream land. A universe that knew not the limits everyone had grown up believing.

I am a perfect example of just such magic, for I am not entirely human any more. In fact I am not altogether entirely corporeal, as I am of an ancient race known as the Dryad or druid. When the world found itself upside down at the beginning of the age of the pure water, imbued with magic, I was living in a district just outside of Seattle. I hadn't bothered with the tests the government wanted us to line up for if we showed any signs of the Water Illusion Disorder, as it was mostly for corporate profit off the drugs, clinical tests and political funding they recieved in a half hearted effort to cure humanity from a disorder no one could even prove existed.

The world continued on much as it had since before the 21st century until one day. The one day the world changed, with the destruction of New York's down town core by two immence dragons being broadcast over the television. The next few weeks were chaotic, massive earthquakes had tipped mountains upside down,  which now floated in the sky as continents. The magical water that had been released as the polar ice caps slowly melted had finally found its way, in mass, into the atmosphere and came down in the rain.

When it did, the chaos that had surrounded the cities of humanity began to manifest itself within. The Water Illusion Disorder was no longer deniable, in fact those who had type two and three were coralled, imprisoned, shot. Some would become test subjects, others died in cells as prisoners while others became the slaves humanity would use to power the mechanism of the war.

I was glad when it all ended for me. One day I sat up from a dream, only to find myself sitting in a chair staring down at myself. I had become a spirit or ghost, as humanity knew my kind as. Every day that I was in the city, I became weaker. Eventually I stumbled into a park and fell into a tree... And became the tree. My limbs swayed in the wind, my turned brown and fell to the ground. I stood in that park, as a majestic Maple Tree, for years beyond count.

Then one day the skies changed, well truly it was the atmosphere, as I would later find out. Not more than a week after that there was a storm that moved over the face of the world, the rain drops had come down with a yellow hue, like beautiful marbles. Then the war ended and the deep sleep fell over much of humanity, especially those who had been infused with the water before the war.

Then one day I woke up, practically falling out of the tree. Yet I was still the tree...My skin was made of bark and my hair was as the leaves. The rubble of the city was completely gone, overgrown by a boreal rain forest. In the distance there was a new town and a road which wound its way towards a city near the ocean. The ancient ruins had been torn down and used to build the road and construct the new town. Whatever remained had become one with whence it came.

No comments: