Saturday, March 9, 2013

Charles Gardens of Trouble...


      I stepped through the shoji screen door and out into the garden, leaving Allyndran to prepare for the counsel meeting, alone with her thoughts. I found myself under the shadow of the labyrinth canopy once again, though the trees here that mingled with the manzenita were not Red Wood but various trees that bore fruit and berries. Even the shrubbery was a vast mix of vegetable, root and herb plants.

Beyond the three foot high stone wall of Allyndran's garden a cobble stone path lead around another much larger garden in the town's centre, it too was enclosed by a stone wall.I was standing at the far North Eastern corner, to my left the path travelled further east still, down a small hill and out from under the labyrinth, where I could just make out two wind mills with an open workshop at each base, a blacksmith and a artisan smithery. Beyond the slowly churning hands of the wind mills lay the bogs of the swamp that encompassed the entire village, which now I had to admit, was much larger than I imagined it from my first glance in the mist.

Beams of light swam down through the branches and shadows to mingle themselves about the ground here and there. The garden's canopy reached out and entangled itself with that of Allyndran's house, for beside me also stood a three foot round Manzanita tree. Indeed the whole village seemed to be shrouded in a guise of shadow where only here and there light found its way through. It seemed as it the place was guised in a permanent twilight, it was indeed beautiful.

Near the far end of the town square I saw Edgarory and a mouse, who could only be Freya with her red pointy had nestled firmly upon her brow, walking slowly out of view, down out of view along a path, that I assumed would lead them to the two mills. So I made my way out of Allyndran's garden and down the path to meet them.

I found them sitting upon the pathway wall at the bottom of the hill in front of the second mill, the artisan's shop. They seemed to be resting comfortably, waiting for me. 'My daughter is waiting for you inside,' Freya said with a smile that spoke volumes of how pleased she was with something, as I drew near. I assumed it to be a dubious plan of fun at my expense, 'but best to wait another minute or two before you go inside,' finishing she set her hands in her lap and twiddled her thumbs.

Edgarory made not even a peep as I sat down beside him, Freya in between the two of us. 'I expect you'll let me know when I should head inside,' I asked of Freya, but the question was directed at both of them.

'No, you'll just know,' answered Edgarory, a smile forming at the edge of his lips. As he finished Freya flashed him a quick glare, with her blue and green eyes sparkling with light. Something was about to happen that I hadn't entirely expected.

In all hopes of returning,
                                Charles

No comments: